A few nights ago, Matt "asked" me if he could make up some oatmeal chocolate chip muffins. "Knock yourself out!" was my response. :) I've been slacking on making baked goods for Matt's breakfasts lately. The last time I made these, I tripled the batch and made them the jumbo sized muffins. They are just that good!
Anyway, Matt started collecting all the ingredients for the recipe. After spinning the heck out of the spice rack, Matt finally found the baking powder (he was looking for a box like baking soda) and asked me about nutmeg. Since I didn't recall putting nutmeg in the recipe before, I told him that I think I left that out. He then went to find the cinnamon, and I started to think, "Are we making the same recipe?" Turns out, we weren't. He accidentally skipped over to the opposite page and started following a different muffin recipe. Good thing he caught it in time!
After gathering up all the ingredients, he got to work while Charlie and I played in the next room. Before I knew it, the whole house smelled like those delicious muffins... so I followed my nose into the kitchen where Matt was just finishing up the dishes and putting things away. He then confessed that he got out the vegetable oil, but upon putting it away, realized that he never actually used the vegetable oil. Matt looked at me and asked, "What's the purpose of the oil, anyway?" I think I made up some answer about adding moisture... which is probably totally wrong. At any rate, the oil never made it into the batter.
Turns out, the muffins are still yummy without the oil! Matt made 6 jumbo muffins and 4 regular-sized muffins, and those buggers rose and everything. (I'll humbly admit that I was a little jealous of those beautiful peaks on the tops of the muffins... how does he DO that?!) A little bit later, Matt went to put the pizza stone back in the oven, and he was surprised to find a muffin stuck between the oven racks! Facing out, no less. Like someone pushed it in there. It was funny! And very crispy. I guess Charlie was super close to getting his hands on the side of the oven when Matt was pulling out the muffins, so he yanked them out with reckless abandon and slammed the oven door shut, thus popping out one of the muffins. All the while, Matt was thinking, "I thought I made 4 of those regular-sized muffins..." while only 3 of them sat on the cooling rack. Hysterical!
As if that weren't enough funnies for one story, it gets a bit better. I was putting away the dishes the other day - the ones from the muffin making experience - and went to put away the measuring spoons. Matt used the ones that I don't normally, probably since the ones that I use have all the measurements rubbed off because of so much use! The spoons he used are all attached by a ring and there's only about 5 of them, as if implying that the cook should just use the ones needed and then dunk the whole ring of spoons into the dish water to clean up. Well, in Matt's excitement to make the muffins, he pulled that ring super hard, forcing it open when it wasn't meant to open at all. He busted my measuring spoon ring! :( I didn't shed any tears. Rather, I laughed. Turns out there's more than one way to get things done in the kitchen.
No comments:
Post a Comment