Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanksgiving

My Thanksgiving "Helper"


It looks like he's using the spoon to call Grandma or something, but it's a total coincidence. He doesn't know how to do that yet.





Charlie's first Thanksgiving was pretty fun! I SO wanted to get him a onesie I saw at Walmart with the words Baby's First Thanksgiving on the front. The cute part was underneath that: different jars of baby food (peas, sweet potatoes, etc.)! It was adorable, but they didn't have his size. Anyway!


We were invited over to some new friend's house for Thanksgiving, but due to the fact that she didn't have any fixin's for a meal and I already did, we swapped and I invited them over instead. It worked out well! I made a 15 1/2 pound bird, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean cass, carrots and croutons, and a blackberry salad and Karen (my new friend from MOPS and they live 2 blocks away!) brought sweet potato cass and a pumpkin pie. After she brought her food, she said that the marshmallows needed to melt onto the sweet potato casserole, so I stuck them in the oven. Well, those little things wouldn't brown! Karen suggested I turn on the broiler, and hardly 2 minutes later, I opened the door and BLACK SMOKE POURED OUT. Oops. Real nice, right? "Wanna come over for Thanksgiving? And can I burn your food?!" It actually was still really tasty, burned mallows and all. She and her husband have two kids, so it was super informal and relaxed. We were able to get some good conversation in and get to know them better, too. Karen and I have gone walking a handful of times and I think that I might dare say that I have a friend here! But don't tell her that. I don't want to scare her off. :)


Right after Karen and her family left, we ventured out in search of the perfect Christmas tree. Matt bought a permit from the Forest Service and scored some tips on where to go, so he packed up the saw and we hit the road. It was pretty fun! It was a bit chilly and if it would have been nicer out, we would have hiked longer and searched harder. We found one pretty close to where we were parked - less hauling for my lumberjack! I'm pretty sure this will be our tradition on Thanksgiving day - big meal and chopping down the Christmas tree.



It looks like Matt isn't getting any credit because there's no pictures of him cutting or anything! It was a little hard to juggle Charlie all wrapped up in a blanket and take pictures at the same time. But he was there! Without him, we wouldn't have a tree! Matt hauled that thing around like some kind of Christmas tree wizard; sawing it down quickly, throwing it up on his shoulder, strapping it to the car, etc.


(Note: Did you notice I mentioned bringing a saw along? You didn't think we'd end up like the Griswold's, did you? You know, with the huge tree roots hanging off the car? We kept waiting for the bright lights to shine down on the one we were supposed to cut, but it just didn't happen. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment