Thursday, February 17, 2011

10 1/2 months

Uff-da! I'm SO behind in pictures! Seems like that's the story of my life... I have such a hard time keeping my pictures organized. I think I'm about 8.3 years behind. Gulp!

Anyway! Here's a pic of Charlie with his bear (our Friday picture ritual). I know I've posted pics of him in the past with his bear and it's fun to see how much he's grown. This was on 2/4/11.
Charlie LOVES his walker/push toy that he got from Grandma and Grandpa (Legge). He can pull himself up to a standing position and then just takes off (started at 10 months). It's adorable! I seriously love watching his little butt sway as he walks. He will walk with Matt and me if we're holding onto his hands, but it has to be both hands. If he's not holding onto both of our hands, he won't walk. He just drops down to one knee. We've been trying to help him walk between us - even for just one step! - but he's not that interested yet. I like that Charlie must be a little cautious in hopes that he doesn't end up jumping off the kitchen table or climbing the cupboards or something.


He pulls himself up to everything now and has been for a while (since 9 1/2 months). He did it a few times while we were in Fergus for Christmas, but it's nonstop now. Walls, patio doors, couches, piano bench, desk, etc. Everything. I used to be able to put stuff on the couch that I didn't want him to get at but no more! Plus, his arms are getting longer, so I really have to push things way up if I want to keep them safe. It's so sweet to be sitting at the kitchen table and see these little fingers gripping onto the edge of the table!

From Charlie's 10th to 11th month, I really have noticed him transition from a baby to a soon-to-be toddler. I put his infant seat away and he's now in a (rear-facing) regular car seat. He's not eating baby food anymore and has moved on to more advanced stuff. This week, he had mashed potatoes with salmon and all kinds of veggies, and black beans, brown rice and cream style corn. He's had peanut butter sandwiches and pancakes (Grandma's buttermilk pancakes AND Matt's chocolate chip pancakes!), cantalope, tuna, lasagna, steel-cut oatmeal, chex and rice krispie cereals, and his latest favorite, couscous! He still eats the baby standards (yogurt, applesauce) but has definitely moved past the purees. He has finally gotten the sippy cup down, after about 2-3 months of trying to figure that stupid thing out. Though it's fun, it's a little sad to see him moving out of the baby phase! Do all moms feel that way? Bittersweet? I was so bummed when Charlie had to move onto the next size of shoe and I had to put his leather football ones away... but then I saw the cute little puppy dogs on the next size and cheered right up.

Charlie also started getting into my kitchen cupboards and just yesterday put one of his weebles right next to the brown sugar. Maybe he thought since I can't have that right now maybe you can! Either way, Mr. Drummer Boy was happily perched with his face into the sugar.

We have one step in the house and Charlie can now go up and down it. He goes down face-first, which involved a handful of tumbles in the beginning. He puts one hand down, then the other and then walks himself so his legs scoot off the step. Sometimes he still falls, but he doesn't cry anymore. He just rolls over and keeps on truckin'! Charlie LOVES to watch us load the dishwasher and will stand up by the door when it's open. He's like a magnet to that thing - just hearing the sound of the door opening brings him over. I'm hoping that the fascination continues into his teenage years. :) Another thing that Charlie comes cruising over for? Daddy making coffee. Charlie sits on the floor with his head tipped waaay back so he can see what Daddy's doing. Every time.

As far as tricks go, he still doesn't pattycake or do "so big!" He can wave and nod his head yes, but I'm not sure that he knows what he's doing when he nods. He will sit and read books for about 2.5 minutes, so you better be a fast reader. And getting him to sit still in your lap? Good luck. He's way too busy for that. I can read books to Charlie if he's sitting in front of me, facing me (while I read upside down). Other than that? He's content to play by himself with his toys or whatever is within reach. Why are kids attracted to shoes and garbage - the nastiest things in the house? Ugh. A few weeks ago, Matt put up the swing that Charlie got from Grandma and Grandpa (Rustand) and we have been out a handful of times enjoying the swing. Charlie's face lights up! We've been having such great weather so it's fun to get outside.

So much more to say, but I better quit. We're traveling to Illinois today (YAY!) for a long weekend with some friends. Another airplane ride for Charlie! This will be his 8th (MO) and 9th (IL) states in his 11 months of life... Whoa! All my bags are (just about) packed, I'm (nearly) ready to go....

No comments:

Post a Comment