Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Redwoods Farewell Tour - Day 2 Part 1

3-4-16
We woke up and had breakfast at the hotel. Matt and the three oldest kids tackled the swimming pool again to see if it was any warmer than the day prior. It was not. They all lasted longer than the night before though. I think it was due to the back and forth swimming between the cold pool and the hot tub; swim until your skin turns purple and then hop in the hot tub to unthaw before tackling the pool again. Strategy! The kids wanted to swim so desperately. We checked out of the hotel and headed south towards Big Tree. We hiked along the Prairie Creek Trail. Molly fell asleep on the way to the trailhead and had a hard time waking up. Enter the Ergo. Thanks to various baby carriers, Matt carried Hattie in the sling and I put Molly in the Ergo. It has been quite a while since I carried Molly! She was snuggly, and it took her a while to fully wake up, a perfect time to employ a carrier. This was Matt's first time carrying Hattie in the sling. He looks good, right? Hattie looks sober, but she enjoyed it. I see that her hat is folding her ear over... Mom fail.





Big, huge trees. They are so very tall and straight but have a surprisingly shallow root system - like 10 feet or something like that. Amazing!





Molly switched over to Matt's back after a while. She still wasn't ready to walk but was warming up to the idea of exploring on her own.




Inside the trunk of a Redwood tree. I believe this one was bigger than some of the apartments Matt and I have lived in... which speaks highly of the tree and not-so-highly of the apartments.



Here's what really brought Molly out of the carriers and ready to hit the trail - banana slugs!!! There's one near her finger and another one farther left in the picture.

Three little ones watching a snail. They were enthralled...

...especially these two. I love the baby squat position - legs bent, hands tucked in between her legs and belly.

Alanna, our little bug toucher and snail lover, "petting" the snail.





Hattie is loving chewing on fingers and hands - her own or anyone else's!

After the hike, we had a snack picnic at Big Tree. Of course we had to take an updated family picture in front of Big Tree. This time Hattie is on the outside instead of tucked in my belly! I love that you can see the edge of Big Tree over Matt's right shoulder but the other side of the tree isn't in the picture. Pretty aptly named.

Big Tree = big leaves?!? Just kidding. The leaf isn't from Big Tree. But isn't it a HUGE leaf?





No comments:

Post a Comment