Monday, February 4, 2019

Ice Skating at Pueblo Ice Arena

1-3-2019
Debbie invited us to meet her in Pueblo and go ice skating one afternoon so we piled into the car and went for it. It was SO FUN and so cheap! We paid $3 per person to skate for two hours and that included our skate rentals. Talk about a deal! Oh my word we had a blast. I was so glad that Matt could come (again - shutdown! yay!) to help with Molly and Hattie. The ice arena had a handful orange PVC pipe walker-type things to help with balance and they were amazingly helpful. Matt instructed Molly on how to push with one of her feet just like she does when she rides her scooter, and whatever he told her totally worked! She took off like a rocket! Charlie held onto the wall at first but then he was gliding along pretty well fairly quickly. He fell quite a bit, but nothing too bad. Alanna used the walker thing for a bit and also held onto the wall, but she was also doing well just holding onto one of our hands. It took a little bit for Hattie to get the hang of it; we started off with me holding her hands which felt like I was pulling on her arms so much. Her legs kept flopping all over the place and it was hard for her to understand what was going on because I don't think she had enough weight on her feet (due to me holding her up). So then I tried to hold her under her armpits so it wasn't so hard on her arms and that wasn't terribly different. Then we grabbed one of the walkers and I was skating backwards while holding onto her hands on the walker. It was better than before, but not great. Eventually, I realized that she needed to take her mittens off and hold onto the walker fully by herself so she could actually try to control her feet and that worked out pretty well. At that point, Hattie could hold onto one of the walkers and skate all by herself. She took lots of breaks, but considering her age and the fact that it was her first time ice skating, I thought Hattie did a fabulous job! ALL of the kids did so great! I was amazed at the difference between when we first got out on the ice and when we left that afternoon. Matt and I had fun, too - we hadn't been ice skating since high school! It's definitely something that we will do again!


















 Like I said, Debbie invited us to come and meet her there so we took a quick group picture before the end of our skating time. 
From left to right: Cooper, Emmett, Logan, Adam, Alanna, Molly, and Charlie
(It's possible that one could see Hattie up in the stands. She took her skates off and was done about 10 minutes before everyone else.)

No comments:

Post a Comment