8-25
After making it through the first full week of school, the kids and I spent the entire day at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo on their first Friday. I can't say that we'll go somewhere every single Friday, but I have decided to do what I can to keep Fridays free and clear; no errands, no Young Life work, no planned friend coffee dates, no chores around the house.
Combine that with the fact that our zoo pass was set to expire at the end of August and we were looking at a day trip to CMZ! One of the perks that comes with a zoo pass is a free pass to drive up to the Shrine of the Sun located about 2 miles up the mountain from the zoo. We did that first, driving up to the base of the shrine. It was really neat! I'm bummed that we hadn't done it before because now Matt hasn't seen it (and we have had a zoo pass for probably 3 or 4 years out of the last 7). Shucks! We walked up the paved path to the shrine before ascending maybe 8-10 flights of stairs to get to the top. There were a few little side rooms that we checked out along the way. At one of the side balconies, Molly about lost it because she was so nervous being up that high. It was completely safe and I felt totally fine going up with the kids by myself, but apparently she found an inner fear of heights?! It was a beautiful bluebird day and I promise we could see to Kansas from the top of the shrine.
Hattie took out her pigtails on the car ride and now looks like the 'low flow' episode of Seinfeld.
The shrine!
This was a side view before we even started ascending to the top. Look at all of that flat land! Are we in CO anymore??
Some really interesting art work in one of the side rooms in the shrine.
And I think that right after Molly looked between those bars is when her fear got the best of her. **See four pictures down.
Pikes Peak in the distance
We were on the backside of the shrine at high noon when a recorded organ started playing hymns throughout the shrine. It was super, super neat!!!
Molly is still shaken up from the top and therefore glued to my side. I feel ya, girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment