Thursday, December 10, 2015

Gentian Violet Day One

11-22
I believe this was the last day that Hattie wore this outfit. One of my favorites, for sure.


Molly wanted to play counting bears with Hattie, so she put one of the cups on Hattie's belly where it sat for a minute or two. I wonder if Molly will be so generous with her toys once Hattie can really play with them. Love those little pigtails!



Just an ordinary moment in our house. Hattie hasn't spent very much time laying on the floor yet for a variety of reasons. I'm sure it does feel nice for her to stretch for a bit though. When I have laid her down, her siblings are pretty quick to flock around her.



Remember the earlier post about Hattie's thrush? We got the gentian violet and this was Hattie's first night of treatment. After asking around, Kathy and several others recommended the gentian violet treatment. Kathy said the did it only one night, but we ended up doing it three nights in a row. Hattie got a q-tip soaked in gentian violet swabbed through her whole mouth and I applied it all over myself as well. Boy, is that stuff violet. I made sure to put Hattie in clothes I didn't care about and use blankets and burp rags that could be stained without worry. I also put some mittens on Hattie's hands so she wouldn't suck on her hands and turn them purple, too. It worked pretty well; the gentian violet seemed to take care of Hattie's thrush. I couldn't see in her mouth for a few days and what I coud see was stained purple, but the white cottage cheesey stuff disappeared. The purple stain on her face lasted a solid week, if not a bit longer. I thought the gentian violet would take care of mine as well, but it either came back a few days later or never fully went away. As of a 12/7, I actually took a 5-day oral med to kill all the yeast in my body. The verdict is still out if it's totally gone or if it will come back again. From what I hear, getting rid of thrush can be quite the lengthy process. At one point while I was at Target with Hattie, a middle-aged couple were oo-ing and aw-ing at Hattie, who was riding comfortably in the sling. When I pulled the edge of the sling down to show them her face, I quickly explained that she had thrush and we were in the middle of the gentian violet treatment. The woman piped up, "Oh, I remember doing that..." I was so relieved to hear that a mother who had kids who were now close to my age used this same stuff years back when her kids were little. Solidarity! :)

Hattie looked so ridiculous after I got done nursing her that night!

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAHA! Oh my goodness! She DOES look ridiculous!! That's so great. I don't remember Maylen's getting all over her face quite like THAT, but I'm sure she had her fair share of purple skin near her lips. That stuff is so ridiculously potent! I think we ended up doing another night later when it came back. I was also taking a garlic oil supplement to help kill any endogenous yeast/fungi, which maybe helped it to not come back? But yes, the stories online make it seem like it could be very difficult to treat.

    ReplyDelete