12-12
I took Charlie and Alanna to the logging truck parade one night in December. We drove 20 minutes down to Myrtle Creek on a rainy and cold winter night and it was totally worth it! I could hear the trucks honking their horns when we stepped out of the van so I knew we were just in time. The parade runs from Riddle to Myrtle Creek, a span of about 7 miles. The trucks leave at 5:30 from Riddle and arrive around 7 in Myrtle Creek where they drive through town and then park downtown so people can walk in between the trucks. It's such a unique Douglas County experience, and I was really looking forward to going again this year. Unfortunately, the weather was exceptionally Oregonish that day so Matt stayed home with Molly and Hattie. It was a really good decision since it was quite windy and the rain was coming down sideways at times. Charlie and Alanna both have rainboots, soft shell jackets that mildly repel rain, and can both hold their own umbrellas - three things that made the quick parade much more enjoyable. We spent maybe 30 minutes in Myrtle Creek and grabbed a Christmas cookie from the city sponsored booth before heading home. They also pass out bowls of hot chili and hot chocolate but we skipped out on those. The kids were happy with the cookie, seeing a few Santas walking around, and looking at the trucks. Later, I asked the kids how come we saw a few different Santas walking around. They said that we kept seeing the same Santa but he was just walking faster than we were. Very interesting! Alanna also asked me if Santa knew her name. I told her to ask her dad. :)
It is a loud parade! The trucks just lay on the horns through town and on the parade route.
This was my favorite truck!
Though it's hard to see, there is a miniature logging truck and crane on one of the floats. They even had little Doug fir saplings. So creative and entirely accurate for this community!
No comments:
Post a Comment