Early May 2019
The annual Music and Blossom Festival is quite a big weekend in Canon City. Young Life does a fundraiser selling breakfast burritos before and after the race and parade on Saturday morning. For a few years now, Dad has submitted a grant request to Thrivent on behalf of YLRG earning us $250 to spend on burrito supplies. We sell the burritos for a few bucks a piece and the kids make quite a bit of money toward camp cost. We divvy up the ingredients a few days before the fundraiser, ask people to prepare the ingredients, and then bring the cooked food together and assemble the burritos together as a committee.
The finished products!
The kids and I had a picnic on Friday at lunch because it was such a pretty day outside.
I ran the Blossom 5k for maybe the first time ever. I think Matt ran the 5k and even the Blossom half marathon a few times in the past, but I have never participated. It is a pretty big race for our area and was fun to do. I had asked Jason to write a training plan for me and a friend (Carman Reynolds) to use, and he came up with a great track for us to be able to complete the 5k. My goal was to run the entire thing without stopping, and I achieved that! Carman trained with me for 4-5 weeks but then fell behind and backed out due to some aches and pains. But I forged on! It was fun to do with a partner, actually. We met at the high school track fairly often so Molly and Hattie could just run in the grass while we ran around the track. Shoutout to Jason who helped get me across the finish line!
Part of the festival is a parade downtown. I love a good parade!
I don't recall there being a ton of candy, but the kids probably walked away with a small handful each.
On Sunday afternoon of Blossom weekend, Young Life put on a 'you're quitting' party for Loren Kolman. He didn't leave town but he left the job - what kind of party is that? Congrats on your next adventure? I like 'you're quitting' better. Hattie had a great time playing with our friend Winter McIntyre. They had a different idea for the jumbo Jenga game.
No comments:
Post a Comment